Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pray w/o Ceasing

I work to promote the Student Impact Fund on campus by contacting Alumni via phone. It's part of my duty as a caller to ask prospects for prayer requests. I don't take this lightly. Recently, with the state of the economy, many have requested prayer concerning recent unemployment and other reasons for fiscal struggle. Other requests, which I find to be equally depressing and even more so shocking, is news of marital strife/divorce. On the other hand, I am excited to hear of new birth to a family, recent job acquisition, or graduation from a masters/doctoral program.

My job is rewarding because I have the chance to empathize and connect with previous students/parents of students. I also have a responsibility as a Christian to be honest when I say that I will lift them up in prayer. But to what extent must I pray? How do I pray? These are questions I have always pondered. The answer the Bible and the church offers is pray without ceasing (I Thes. 5:17). While I find this type of prayer essential, it's never enough for me to rely on small send-ups to God throughout the day. Though I struggle as a student, with an ever-changing schedule, to make a habit of setting aside time each day to truly be alone with God. Usually, I just settle for being alone with myself (afterall, I tend to be introverted).

The reality is, God is waiting me to call on Him. When I neglect Him, I am making a choice that harms our relationship. If God were a human who relied on others, He would be deeply scarred by my rejection. He'd give up after a few days/months/years of our ignorance. Instead, God amazes us with His willingness to forgive/ His grace/ His understanding.

The Bible tells us to pray on all occasions, making our requests known to God (Ephesians 6:18). It tells us never to worry about anything, and to thank God for what He has already provided (Philippians 4:6). Jesus made it a priority to pray. "Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed" (Luke 5:16), or He sent the crowds away and “went up on a mountainside by Himself to pray” (Matthew 14:23). We also read that Jesus rose "very early in the morning" and "went off to a solitary place where He prayed" (Mark 1:35).

At home, I didn't have to search for solitude. I found it in my backyard(Middlecreek). Here in Grantham, though a quiet suburb, I am often easily distracted during prayer. My most meaningful times of prayer, however, have occurred on the trails along the Breaches. I am anxious for Spring when I can go for walks with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment